Tests On Newcastle Film-Maker Inconclusive
9 April 2013, 13:44
A post-mortem examination on a young filmmaker whose body was found in a derelict building in Newcastle was inconclusive.
26 year old Lee Halpin, had planned to spend a week living on the streets in his home city of Newcastle to experience what it was like to be homeless.
Coroner David Mitford said further inquiries would now take place and he adjourned the inquest until more information had been gathered.
The inquest heard that Mr Halpin, who had planned to spend a week living on the streets as part of his documentary into homelessness, was identified by his father after he was found by the police.
The post-mortem examination, which took place on Monday, was not able to establish the cause of death and further tests will now be carried out.
Mr Mitford said:
"There are tests being taken and will need to be analysed. That might take some time and it depends on the nature of the tests.
We don't know the reason why he died and we do not have full information about the background circumstances.''
Mr Mitford said they would resume at the earliest possible opportunity.
The day before he embarked on his project, Mr Halpin posted a video on YouTube saying he had been made aware of the growing number of homeless people and the possible repercussions of the bedroom tax.
It was part of an application to an investigative journalism scheme and he said in the video that he hoped it would show his willingness to get to the heart of a story.
Two men were later arrested and bailed by Northumbria Police in connection with the death, on suspicion of supplying a controlled drug.