Russian Student Admits Newcastle University Bomb

10 September 2014, 15:27

Russian Student Vladimir Aust has pleaded guilty to making an explosive substance - after staff and students at Newcastle University had to be evacuated.

UPDATED 10th September 2014

Vladimir Aust appeared via video-link at Newcastle Crown Court earlier. 

The 18 year old confirmed his name and entered a plea of guilty to the charge of making an explosive substance.

A charge of carrying two knives near to the Russian embassy in London was dropped by the prosecution after Aust pleaded not guilty to it.

Judge James Goss QC adjourned the case and said sentencing would take place next month.


 
________________________________________________________________________________________

UPDATED 12th June 2014


Police have again sealed off part of Newcastle University in connection with "suspicious items'' found earlier this week

Two 18-year-old Russian students studying at the university were arrested after bomb disposal units were called in and a controlled explosion was carried out.

Northumbria Police said this morning another cordon has been put in place.

The area around Percy Street and St Thomas Street is affected.

Newcastle Uni Cordon

Chief Superintendent Laura Young said:
"Police are continuing to investigate the incident at Newcastle University on Tuesday June 10.

Two men aged 18 arrested in connection with this investigation remain in custody helping with enquiries.

Overnight a small amount of a potentially suspicious substance has been recovered from the same location and will be removed from the building in due course. The building has temporarily been evacuated as a precaution and EOD are in attendance at the university building.

The ongoing activity is necessary to support the investigation, which centres around explosive offences linked to substances recovered from the university.

We're working closely with Newcastle University to keep disruption to a minimum for staff, students and members of the public.

We must stress that this is the usual procedure in such investigations.''

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

UPDATED 12th June 12014 - 15:30

Two Russian students have been arrested following a controlled explosion after the discovery of "potentially suspicious items'' at Newcastle University.

Students and staff were evacuated from a campus building after concern was first raised at 10am on Tuesday and a cordon was eventually established.

Initially an 18-year-old man was arrested in connection with the incident but now a second 18-year-old man has also been arrested.

Northumbria Police confirmed both men are Russian students studying at Newcastle University and they remain in custody.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

UPDATED 11th June - 06:30

An 18 year old man's been arrested after suspcious devices were found at a Newcastle University building.

A controlled explosion has been carried out on Newcastle Town Moor, after 'potentially suspicious devices' were found at a Newcastle University building.

The explosion was carried out as a precaution by the EOD - Explosive Ordnance Disposal - unit.

Northumbria Police say they want to reassure residents this was a planned event and reiterate it is in connection with the incident at Newcastle University.

(Picture by Robert Hull)
Newcastle Uni Suspicious Devices

Chief Superintendent Laura Young said:
"Police have been searching a Newcastle Unversity building and the building has been evacuated as a precaution so that items can be recovered and examined.

Residents around Newcastle Town Moor may have heard a slight bang and I would like to reassure them this is in connection with the incident at the University and was planned."

Enquiries are continuing. The 18-year-old man arrested in connection with the investigation was arrested in London.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

UPDATED: 5:50pm, 10th June 2014

A university building was evacuated after "potentially suspicious items'' were discovered.

Searches of the INTO Building - which provides accomodation to international students - are being carried out.

An 18-year-old man has been arrested and is helping detectives with their inquiries.

Newcastle Uni Suspicious Devices

A force spokesman said:
"Potentially suspicious items have been found and the building has been evacuated as a precaution so the items can be recovered and examined.

Inquiries are in the early stages and we are working closely with Newcastle University.

There is currently no cause for concern for students and the wider community.''

A specialist robot was seen being taken into the building by bomb disposal experts (pictured below)and a number of roads around the building have been cordoned off.

Newcastle Uni Suspicious Devices
(Picture by Robert Hull)

Shawn Mendes Jingle Bell Ball 2016

Watch ALL The Live Performances From The Jingle Bell Ball 2016

Liam Payne & Cheryl Baby

Liam Payne's Sister Speaks Out After New Pics Appear To Confirm Cheryl Pregnancy Rumours

Leigh-Anne Pinnock joins Snapchat

80+ Of The Best Popstars You Should Have On Snapchat

My Capital App

Want To Control The Music On Capital? Now You Can With Our New App!