On Air Now
The Capital Weekender With Ministry of Sound 10pm - 6am
17 June 2012, 05:00
SUNDAY 17TH JUNE (DURHAM - MIDDLESBROUGH)
· Today the Relay will travel 83.70 miles
· 124 Torchbearers will carry the Flame
· The Evening celebration will take place in Centre Square, Middlesbrough
· 19 communities will have a chance to see the Torch on its journey from Durham to Middlesbrough.
· The Relay will travel through: Durham, Sherburn, Sherburn Hill, Haswell Plough, Peterlee, Horden, Blackhall Colliery, Hartlepool, Billingham, Sedgefield, Bishop Auckland, Shildon, Middridge, Newton Aycliffe, High Beaumont Hill, Harrogate Hill, Darlington, Stockton-on-Tees and Middlesbrough.
· It's a later start for the Torch today - at 8.33am the first Torchbearer of the day will be England and Durham cricketer Paul Collingwood, who will start with the Flame at Palace Green. Paul is a three times Ashes winner and has made 68 Test and 232 limited overs appearances for his country and also claims the honour of being the first England captain to lead the side to victory in a global tournament when his side won the World International Twenty20 in 2010.
· At 11.51am, Jamie Poole, 24, from Stockton-on-Tees, will carry the Flame into the Maritime Experience in Hartlepool. Jamie was nominated through the LOCOG public nomination campaign for the care he gave to his friend Alan who was suffering from cancer and for the coaching that he gives to children in his spare time.
· The Olympic Torch will arrive in Stockton-On-Tees around 5:30pm where Michelle Brown, from Middlesbrough, will be carrying the flame. Michelle's the manager of domestic violence support service 'My Sister's Place. You can read about her story HERE
· 17 year old Chloe Meehan, 17, from Middlesbrough, will carry the Flame into Centre Square, Middlesbrough at 6.50pm
· The evening show will start at 5pm. The line-up includes music from Little Comets, a dance troupe who will provide a unique fusion of street performance, theatre and sport and dance act Twist and Pulse. There will also be entertainment from local acts staged by Middlesbrough Council.