On Air Now
The Capital Weekender with Marvin Humes 7pm - 10pm
14 June 2012, 05:36
* The Olympic Flame will travel to within 10 miles of 95% of people in the UK
* All 12 local authorities in the North East will get a visit from the Torch
* 136 miles of tarmac in Northumberland will be covered by the Torch On Day 27 of the Torch Relay (Thursday June 14th)
* 130 torchbearers will carry the flame on Thursday 14th June
* The average number of torchbearers carrying the flame each day is around 110
* The Torch has 8,000 holes punched into it - to represent the 8,000 torchbearers carrying the flame throughout it's journey across the UK
* The Torch is 800mm high and weighs 800 grams
* The triangular shape of the Torch comes from the 'power of 3' - the series of 'threes' found in the history of the Olympic Games
- The three Olympic values of respect, excellence and friendship
- The three words that make the Olympic motto 'faster, higher, stronger'
- The fact that the UK has hosted the Olympic Games in 1908, 1948 and will host them for the third time in 2012
- The vision for the London 2012 Olympic Games to combine three bodies of work - sport, education and culture.
* More than half of the London 2012 Torchbearers are expected to be people aged as young as 12
* The Torch arrives in the North East on Thursday 14 June 2012 and leaves the region on Monday 18 June 2012.
* During the time the Torch is in the North East, it will pass through 62 villages, towns and cities in the region.
* Highlights of the Torch Relay through the North East include; travelling down a zip wire from the Tyne Bridge carried by adventurer Bear Grylls, Torchbearers running past such iconic sites as the Angel of the North, St. Mary's Lighthouse at Whitley Bay, Penshaw Monument and Hadrian's Wall at Housesteads.
* There are four evening celebration events in the region: Alnwick (Thursday 14th June), Newcastle (Friday 15th June), Durham (Saturday 16th), Middlesbrough (Sunday 17th June)
* 12,000 people have been allocated tickets to the Alnwick Evening Celebration
* The EURO 2012 Sweden v England game will be broadcast on the big screen on the Quayside at the Newcastle Evening Celebration
* On Day 28 of the Torch Relay (Friday June 15th), 141 torchbearers will carry the flame The Torch will cover 64.15 miles on Friday 15th June - a relatively small distance compared to the rest of the route