Dancing On My Own (Tiesto Remix) Calum Scott
23 October 2013, 12:03
Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service has announced plans to cut over £5million from their budget - with the loss of 131 firefighter posts.
That's 20% of their total frontline firefighters.
These proposals also include:
* The closure of Gosforth, Wallsend and Sunderland Central fire stations
* Plans for a new station to be built to cover the areas of Gosforth and Wallsend
* The removal of 6 frontline fire engines on a permanent basis (20% of total fire engines) with others removed on a night time.
* The loss of an aerial ladder platform.
* Cuts in crewing levels across the service.
Brigade secretary Dave Turner said:
"We have made it clear in all recent discussions with senior managers that we will oppose any further cuts to frontline services.
These are the most devastating cuts in the service's history and will mean firefighters and the public will be at far greater risk if these cuts go ahead.
It also means that areas of Tyne and Wear will be left without cover for extended periods, again increasing the risk to both the public and firefighters alike"