Clearing - What Do I Need To Know?
14 August 2013, 06:00
Clearing is a service that operates between mid-July and September.
You can take part in Clearing if you have already applied through UCAS and you are in one of the following categories:
* You have not received any offers.
* You have declined all your offers or not responded by the due date.
* Your offers have not been confirmed because you have not met the conditions (eg you have not achieved the required grades)
* You have declined a changed course, a changed date of entry and/or changed point of entry offer.
* You applied for one course which has been declined/unsuccessful and you have paid the full application fee - £22 for 2012
* You sent your application to UCAS after 30th June
If you only made a single choice on your original application, you can pay a further £11 and apply to other universities and colleges through Clearing.
Last year almost 52,000 people got a place at university through Clearing, so there is a good chance you will too.
Newcastle University Professor Suzanne Cholerton's Top Tips
Hear from Suzanne talking to Capital FM's Anna Harding
* Go onto UCAS website for help and support
* Browse the Clearing 2013 vacancies and dedicated Clearing 2012 apps at any time on results day - you won't be able to make a formal choice until around 5.00pm. At that time an 'add Clearing choice' button will appear on your UCAS Track 'choices' screen.
* Make sure you get in touch with Universities earlier in the day so you can get a provisional offer from them
* Check the websites of the Univerisities you want to go to for contact numbers and information about what to do next
* Make sure you have your A Level grades, your UCAS identification number and a pen and paper with you BEFORE you phone
* Ask any questions you might have about the course you're applying to
* Act quickly - no matter how disappointed you might be with your grades, the quicker you act, the more chance that you'll get a result you want
* Use the #ucasclearing hashtag on Twitter to find the latest information from us and other students.
Who Can I Talk To?
If you need help applying through Clearing or have a query about your application, call the UCAS helpline on 0871 468 0 468 . Lines are open from 07:00 - 19:00 on results day.
For independent advice on the full range of post-exam options (e.g., not just applying to University) call the Exam Results Helpline on 0808 100 8000 . Lines are open from 08:00 - 20:00 on results day.