Residents Allowed Back Home After Manchester Gas Pipe Fire
6 June 2011, 20:29
Police tell us they are now allowing residents back into their homes after a fire in north Manchester.
At about 1.30pm today, Monday 6 June, officers were called to Upper Helena Street following reports a gas pipe had cracked and was on fire.
The Fire Service and specialist engineers have been working for the past few hours to make the pipe safe and have now repaired the leak.
The area is now safe and the 600 residents who were temporarily housed at a sports centre in Longsight after their homes were evacuated as a precaution, are now being allowed to return.