Silence Marshmello feat. Khalid Download 'Silence' on iTunes
8 January 2012, 11:46
A 20-year-old man arrested over the alleged abuse of an Oldham footballer at Anfield has been released on bail.
Merseyside Police said the suspect, who was arrested on suspicion of a racially aggravated public order offence, has been released pending further inquiries.
The force launched an investigation following an incident at Liverpool's Anfield stadium on Friday night (January 6th).
Oldham Player Tom Adeyemi appeared to be visibly upset by fans' comments during the third-round FA Cup tie.
He is thought to have taken offence to something shouted from the Kop late on in the game, which the home side won 5-1.
Despite reassurance from his team-mates, as well as Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard ans striker Dirk Kuyt, right-back Adeyemi seemed close to tears.
There then appeared to be a discussion between the fourth official and a police officer down by the tunnel while the game was continuing.
It is understood Adeyemi gave a statement to police after the match.
Oldham manager Paul Dickov said earlier that he had not spoken to the player about the situation, but accepted something had upset him.
The statement said:
"We take this matter extremely seriously and have today provided the police with the evidence we currently have available to us.
This includes CCTV coverage and still photography of what we believe to be the relevant part of the stadium, statements from matchday stewards in that area and full access to all the footage captured by the cameras filming the match for our in-house TV operation.
In addition, we have examined records of the tickets purchased in that part of the ground to see if they provide any additional information and have passed that on to the police.
Finally, we would also urge any of our supporters who witnessed this incident or saw the individual involved and who have not already done so, to contact either the club or the police."