Into You Ariana Grande
23 June 2012, 04:59
SATURDAY 23RD JUNE 9LYTHAM ST ANNE'S - MANCHESTER)
· Today the Relay will start in Lytham St Annes at 6.05am and finish in Manchester at 6.50pm.
· The Torch will travel 71.87 today
· 164 Torchbearers will carry the Olympic Torch during the course of the day
· At 6.05am, the first Torchbearer of the day will be Alice Kelly, 14, from Warrington, who will start with the Flame at Royal Lytham St Annes. Alice was selected through the Coca-Cola campaign for her efforts in raising £1200 to raise funds for a trip to Gambia. This will allow her to deliver a peer education programme in the community and schools in a third world country.
· The last Torchbearer of the day will be Carl Tilson, 25, from Manchester, who will carry the Flame into the Evening Celebration in Albert Square. Carl was nominated through the LOCOG public nomination campaign for the work that he does for Action Duchenne, which aims to raise the profile of Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, a condition which he suffers himself. He has raised £100,000 for charity and was last year voted Mancunian of the Year.
· The evening celebration will take place in Albert Square and will start at 5pm The line-up includes music from Tribes, a dance troupe who will provide a unique fusion of street performance, theatre and sport and dance act Twist and Pulse. There will also be entertainment from local acts staged by Manchester City Council.
· Towards the end of the two-hour show, the last Torchbearer of the day in Manchester - Carl Tilson - will light a celebration cauldron on stage at the event which will enable the Olympic Flame to be seen by the audience.
· Edinburgh-born Olympian Sir Chris Hoy will carry the Flame on Deansgate in Manchester. He's an Olympic gold medal-winning cyclist and has been selected because of his contribution to his sport and inspiring young people in the community to take up more sport as part of Lloyds TSB National School Sport Week.