MTV VMAs 2012: Winners List
7 September 2012, 06:52
Check out Capital's full guide to all the big winners at the music spectacular in Los Angeles last night.
One of the biggest nights in the music calendar took place in Los Angeles last night (6th September) as the Staples Center played host to the MTV Video Music Awards (VMAs) 2012.
Hype had been building towards the ceremony ever since the nominations were first announced back in July.
Rihanna and Drake were the most nominated stars on the night with a total of five nods each.
The Bajan star was one of the big winners of the night scooping the much coveted Music Video Of The Year prize for her Vodafone Big Top 40 number one samsh 'We Found Love'
Drake managed to take home the Best Hip-Hop Video for his Lil' Wayne featuring 'HYFR', but it was One Direction who were the biggest winners of all – taking home all three prizes they were nominated for.
They won Best New Artist, Best Pop Video and Most Shareworthy Video for debut single 'What Makes You Beautiful' - topping off a fantastic year for the former X Factor stars.
Rihanna's former boyfriend Chris Brown was also celebrating more than once after he won Best Male Video and Best Choreography for his single 'Turn Up The Music'.
Check out the full list of winners at the MTV Video Music Awards 2012 below:
- Video of the Year: Rihanna, 'We Found Love'
- Best New Artist: One Direction, 'What Makes You Beautiful'
- Best Female Video: Nicki Minaj, 'Starships'
- Best Hip-Hop Video: Drake, featuring Lil' Wayne, 'HYFR'
- Best Male Video: Chris Brown, 'Turn Up the Music'
- Best Pop Video: One Direction, 'What Makes You Beautiful'
- Best Rock Video: Coldplay, 'Paradise'
- Best Video With a Message: Demi Lovato, 'Skyscraper'
- Best Electronic Dance Music Video: Calvin Harris, 'Feel So Close'
- Most Shareworthy Video: One Direction, 'What Makes You Beautiful'
- Best Choreography: Chris Brown, 'Turn Up the Music'
- Best Editing: Beyonce, 'Countdown'
- Best Visual Effects: Skrillex, 'First of the Year (Equinox)'
- Best Cinematography: M.I.A., 'Bad Girls'
- Best Art Direction: Katy Perry, 'Wide Awake'
- Best Direction: M.I.A., 'Bad Girls'