Rain The Script Download 'Rain' on iTunes
5 August 2016, 07:34
Nottingham City Council have decided to close the beach in Old Market Square temporarily tomorrow while an EDL demonstration takes place.
Councillors are worried about the safety of children and families, having asked the police to be ban the protest twice.
It'll reopen, on the same day, when the council think it's safe.
Councillor Dave Trimble said:
'The Council has previously made clear that we don't want the EDL demonstration to take place in Nottingham. It will inevitably cause disruption to the public, businesses and traffic and the cost of policing the demonstration will be significant.
'As well as calling for the demonstration to be banned, we'd said that if it went ahead then it should be located near the Castle, as in 2009, well away from the City Centre and the Beach.
'We know that the Police will be taking steps to ensure the march takes place peacefully in order to limit any impact on the public and businesses as much as possible. However, clearly there will always be some risk of public disorder occurring.
'Public safety has to be our top priority, particularly where children and families are concerned. Therefore, in consultation with the Mellors Group and the sponsors Deliveroo, we have decided that, as a precaution, the Beach will not open as normal on Saturday and will only re-open on the day once we feel it's safe to do so."
'Nottingham is a welcoming city where people get along. We don't welcome groups with extreme views who seek to divide communities and who bring with them the risk of disorder when local people and visitors just want to get on with enjoying their weekend and the many great things that Nottingham has to offer."
Nottinghamshire Police have told Capital they have a legal obligation to facilitate a peaceful demonstaration and the situation remains under constant review.
Chief Superintendent Ian Howick from Nottinghamshire Police said:
'Nottinghamshire Police has a legal obligation to both keep the public of Nottinghamshire safe and facilitate peaceful protest.
'The safety of everyone living, working, visiting and travelling in and around Nottingham city centre on the day remains our absolute priority.
'Since being notified of the group's intentions to demonstrate, we have committed significant resources to ensure that we can meet both obligations and are taking all available steps to minimise the disruption caused to all those affected.
'We have been working closely with a range of affected businesses, community groups and partners - including Nottingham City Council - and have carried out a full review of all available legal powers with the necessary conditions in place to both facilitate peaceful protest and keep local people safe.
'Having reviewed all available information, intelligence and human rights obligations, the specific conditions required to prevent a planned procession from taking place have not been met. However, the situation remains under constant review and, should this change, we have the necessary legislation in place to continue to keep Nottinghamshire safe.'