Sunrise Jillionaire , Fuse ODG & Fatman Scoop Download 'Sunrise' on iTunes
Police say it was lucky that nobody was hurt in the flat fire - which began early this morning (Wednesday) in Colwick
Officers discovered around 15 cannabis plants were being grown inside the flat.
The fire was put out - and found to have been caused by a plug socket which had been overloaded with hydroponic equipment used to grow the plants, including high-intensity lighting.
A 45-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the cannabis grow and will be interviewed by detectives later today.
Insp Al Pearson said: “Thankfully in this case, the fire was discovered and put out quickly.
“One of the sockets inside the address had been overloaded with too many electrical items. I urge people to exercise extreme caution because next time we may not be so lucky and someone could be killed.
“Growing drugs in this way could cause a fatal fire and I would ask landlords in particular to be vigilant of any suspicious activity occurring in their properties.
“We have also encountered many cases where people tap into the electricity mains in order to bypass power to grow drugs. This is also extremely unsafe and is fraught with danger.
“We have a zero tolerance around the production and supply of drugs in Nottinghamshire and anyone found to be engaging in such activity will be arrested, prosecuted and could face a lengthy prison sentence.”
Insp Pearson added that members of the public can help police to tackle drugs by reporting any suspicious activity.
“It’s vitally important that the public report any information they have to police.
“I would urge those who know anyone involved in cannabis cultivation, or spots any suspicious activity, to call the police or Crimestoppers so we can deal with it immediately.”
Anyone who has information should contact Nottinghamshire Police on 0300 300 99 99. Alternatively call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.